Monday, November 4, 2013

Social Media Divide: Privacy Position

I find the idea of the social network divide very interesting. I love what Bob Sullivan said about avid Facebook users putting themselves into the category of "I have nothing to hide, so why worry" (New Concern: Social Media Divide, para. 7). I see that very thing often among my friends and especially family members who have Facebook accounts. I see posts that even I would think shouldn't be made public. Relationships, vacation areas, or even the littlest information to allow other people to know what they are doing or what is exactly happening in their life. For me, I would prefer not to know that information.

With concern to this privacy position, I would most likely be in the middle of the road/privacy elite. I don't mind sharing certain information, but it must be to people whom I know personally. I'm not necessarily at a point where I don't care at all about my privacy, I just don't mind sharing certain things. I am; however, huge on keeping certain aspects of my life to a complete minimum or even non-existent from an Internet/Social Media stand point. Currently I post on Facebook occasionally, and most of the time it is usually once a month or less. I always make sure my account settings on any social media site that I am apart of are set to private, or at least set to a certain level of privacy. I also like the fact that I have a brother who is technologically savvy because I am not in the slightest savvy with technology. My brother, when things go wrong especially with privacy, helps me to be safer through my social media encounters, and other things I do on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment